This might be one of the first years I’ve ever been impatient for Spring. I know, I’m a weirdo, but I truly love winter and have relished the cooler weather since moving back North. This winter, however . . . between “snowmageddon,” a power outage with no heat, and my house-bound children, I am finally tired of the ice and cold, and I need warmth. And I need green. The backyard is teasing me with daffodil shoots, reminding me of all the color we’ll have soon. So, in my impatience, I tried to devise a way to add some green inside. I’ve had these glass jars ($1 each from the thrift store) sitting around for a while and have spent the winter trying to find a local source for live moss (to no avail). I’m sure I’ll have more luck in warmer weather, but for now, I bought dried moss (which the woman at the nursery told me might even sprout if kept moist — but I must have used a bit too much moisture because all that grew was mold). So, here is round two:
I just put a layer of rocks at the bottom, a layer of soil mixed with charcoal (which is very helpful in preventing the mold), and some dried moss. Ok, ok, I cheated, but it LOOKS like I’m growing live moss, right? And I’m lovin’ the green!
I’ve been hoping to come across some old valentines for a while (not that I knew what I was going to do with them). Perhaps I was searching for the nostalgia or maybe it was a reaction to my boys’ choices of Transformers and Star Wars valentines, which speak to their little hearts in ways to which I cannot relate. There are plenty of vintage cards online, but most are overpriced (plus shipping), especially for the purpose of crafting rather than collecting. So I was delighted to find some vintage-inspired cards at a little toy shop. Cute, cheap and close enough!
Maybe it’s the retro vibe, but some felt and rickrack finally inspired me to make the cards into a banner for our play room windows.
First I sewed around the edge of each card to attach them to the felt (I suggest wool felt for longevity but I used acrylic because I had some on hand):
Pinking shears gave the felt a nice finished edge, and I left some room at the top to cut slits and string each card onto the rickrack:
It looked a little bare until I added the bows, but now I have a Valentine’s Day banner sweet enough for any room in the house: